Friday, January 05, 2007

I saw . . . this: Part 4

Let's go chronologically, shall we?

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

It helps when you don't expect much more than singing and fluffy fun. I recall an oddly long class discussion about Monroe not too long ago, and I seemed to be the only one willing to stick my neck out for her. A lot of people don't think she had the chops to do much more than be The Girl, but I disagree. I just don't think she was ever given the chance to really prove herself. Mind you, she's no Jane Russell, but the combination of Russell's earthy presence and luscious growl was the perfect contrast to Monroe's frosted perfection.

GoodFellas (1990)

I don't think I need to go into much detail here, but this is one the best movies I have ever seen. Scorsese and Liotta make it easy to see why Henry is so attracted to the lifestyle. Despite the violence, they manage to make a crew seem warm and congenial. I even teared up when everyone was there to congratulate young Henry after his first pinch. By the time they pull out the rug from under Henry, they've cut an Aristotelian tragic figure. You may have watched him sow the seeds of his own destruction, but it's too difficult not to feel sorry for him. Actually, now I kind of wish I hadn't been so hasty to mail the DVD back.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
(2005)

My dad warned me not to bother, pronouncing it a "stupid, stupid" movie. I did anyway, and I think we should add "boring" to stupid. While I appreciate that Pitt could hold his own against Jolie (and that's saying a lot), there's little between them on screen. From the stereotypical portrayals to the unnecessary "twist" to wildly anti-climatic finish, there's little of redeeming value to be found. If you're desperate to see one of these actors doing hot things hotly, I can think of a dozen other movies to recommend them.

And while we're here:

No comments:

Post a Comment