Thursday, December 21, 2017

Movie Moments 2017 - Entry 2

I loved Three Billboard outside Ebbing, Missouri. It's a masterwork so richly layered that you feel like you've read a novel or at least watched a mini-series, so fully do you understand these characters and their world. 

But I'm not here to talk about Three Billboards. Or at least I'm not here to talk about Three Billboards as a whole. 

I'm here to talk about how Carter Burwell, genius composer whose work I love, totally recycled his Twilight score for Three Billboards

I happen to love his Twilight score. I think it's fantastic, the otherworldly strings/piano/woodwind for the vampires and the tribal drums for the wolves. I was relieved when they finally brought him back for Breaking Dawn. When Vampire Diaries (at least in the early seasons) aped his work, it made sense to me. No matter who they hired, that person wasn't going to do any better than Burwell did.

I'm not even saying that this score is 100%, note-for-note the same as Twilight. I'm just saying that when Mildred leaned over and said, "'Cause you're pretty, but you ain't her," I knew I knew those 5 wood flute notes from somewhere. That somewhere is Twilight. And that emotional moment (j/k, the entire movie is an emotional moment. Prepare yourself) is probably (definitely?) not the time you want to think about Twilight (or is it? No, it isn't).

Burwell isn't, of course, the only Hollywood composer to pull this trick. Thomas Newman's scores for The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, and Pay it Forward are pretty indistinguishable. 

The point is: my name is April, there is a crossover audience for fans of the Twilight score and fans of Martin McDonagh, and I am at the centre of that very small Venn diagram. Possibly I am the only person in it, but here I am. 

You can listen to the score plus soundtrack here. The Deer/Twilight moment, if you want to experience it for yourself, begins at 1:24. 


No comments:

Post a Comment