Thursday, January 04, 2018

Movie Moment 2017 - Entry 3

What is Superman looking at?
After Justice League, a couple sat in a lengthy discussion which revealed that 1) that guy is a nerd and 2) that lady doesn't know a single thing about the difference between Marvel and DC (or, more specifically, the difference between the MCU and the DCEU, but I think those initialisms might be a bridge too far for her). All of her question revolved around why certain hot guys were in this movie versus the hot guys she was expecting to see. (I feel this).

I also feel her on the whole being-confused front. The week prior, while watching trailers, I completely forgot what movie I was there to see and was briefly overcome with surprise that there was a trailer for Black Panther before Justice League (this was Justice League's opening night). Then when the movie started, I was doubly surprised to realize that I was there for Thor: Ragnarok.

[That's not a dig about Ragnarok. I went to see it on purpose, and I rather enjoyed it. Mostly absolutely everything that Korg said or did, which had me in such fits of hopeless Taika love that the woman sitting next to me was openly staring at me. It did not help that I also had my sitcom reaction to some of the other jokes that had the audience in stitches -- that's the reaction where I nod once while thinking, "Yes, those are the jokes." But I digress.]

The thing is, when Ragnarok started, it's not like I was disappointed, but, well, I was done eating my sundae so ... I could have left satisfied. Honestly, I think I would pay $5 bucks (plus pop and sundae) to just watch 30 minutes or so of trailers. The best trailers are works of art in their own right, so why wouldn't I want to watch a bunch of short films strung together? Get on that, theatres.

In the meantime, let's spend a couple of minutes on the trailer that had me so jazzed:


No comments:

Post a Comment