Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pop Culture Round-Up XIV

I like this list fine, but it is missing what I consider to be one of the best credit sequences ever: Rescue Me. The way film speeds up and slows do to simulate riding on the truck through New York, all the while the Von Bondies' "C'mon, C'Mon" hammers home everything the show is about without ever being obvious or over the top? That's how it's done. Honorable mentions to Veronica Mars and Weeds.

Grant Guimont wants to tell you about Hollywood's Manliest Directors . No sissies here.

I voted for A League of Their Own. There are many other worthwhile entries on the list, but I want it to make it past at least the first round. If it doesn't, though, I will be brave. If that movie taught me anything, it's that there's no crying in baseball. That, and avoid the clap.

David Denby takes a look at the fractured narratives becoming more commonplace in film today.

The woman who introduced me to TWoP reflects on its sale.

Sometimes movies are great. Except for scenes that completely suck .

No comments:

Post a Comment