Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Rent (2005)

Summary: Aspiring filmmaker Mark (Anthony Rapp) and musician Roger (Adam Pascal) are roomies living rent free in a loft (which Roger hasn’t left in a year) owned by their former roommate, Benny (Taye Diggs). Mimi (Rosario Dawson), a junkie/exotic dancer, lives downstairs. Roger and Mimi meet. Roger likey. Mimi likey. But Roger no likey the drugs because that’s how he and his ex ended up HIV positive. In fact, that’s probably how Mimi ended up in the same boat. Meanwhile, Mark and Roger’s other former roommate Collins (Jesse L. Martin), comes home to roost after getting fired from his teaching position at MIT. He meets Angel (Wilson Jermaine Heredia) after he is mugged. Collins likey. Angel likey. They’re both positive, too. Finally, Mark’s ex, Maureen (Idina Menzel), needs Mark’s help with her latest performance piece, much to the chagrin of her girlfriend, Joanne (Tracie Thoms).

Alright, I’ll bet you are wondering why anyone would want to see this musical in the cinema when they could see/have seen it on stage. Good question. I’ve got answers for ya.

If you have already seen it:
- Minus Dawson and Thoms, you get to see the original Broadway cast.
- Did you sit in rows A-G last time? No? Well, now you can see all the action up close and personal.

If you haven’t seen it yet:
- Do you really think you are going to get another chance to see this cast this close this cheap? You’re not, so stop thinking that way.

Plus, now that it’s been out in the theatres for awhile, you might be able to enjoy it without the sing-a-long crowd. On the other hand, a couple burst forth into song at the end of my screening.

I’m about to make up the names of the songs based on their lyrics, so bear with me.

See, the great thing about moving theatre off the stage is the way you “open up” the piece. “Do you know the way to Santa Fe?” moves to the F train. “Out tonight” starts on the stage at the Cat Scratch Club. “Take me (or leave me)” disrupts Maureen and Joanne’s engagement party at a swanky club.

Of course, screenwriter Steve Chbosky also loosens up Jonathan Larson’s musical, trading in the lyricism of the interludes between numbers for actual dialogue, weaving flashbacks into songs so Mark doesn’t have to wear his captain exposition cap.

Chris Columbus (director) gives us some of his best work yet. More often that not, on stage a musical relies solely on the ability of the performers to play it to the rafters. But with a camera in their faces, someone can focus on the quiet moments, allowing the actors to go beyond emoting and internalize their characters.

Adam Pascal, if you weren’t married with two kids, I would have two words for you: call me! I didn’t get the Roger appeal before, but I see it now. Thoms, I don’t care who you are replacing: you rock! Rapp, you should call me as well just for being that awesome. In fact, all the performers turn in exhilarating performances at the end of the day. It can be breathtaking to watch.

Also, no one was more excited to see Wayne Wilcox (Naked Marty, for those in the know) up there than I was. Not even Wayne himself. That’s what happens when you choose Logan, Rory.

So, if you were looking for a review full of lovely, positive comments, here is it.

That is to say, don’t keep reading if you don’t want to see anything negative.

Now, maybe it’s just that I have more experience with movies than live theatre, but did anyone else start questioning this movie like no body’s business? Collins got fired for his radical theory from MIT? The same people that keep Chomsky around? Since they don’t have to pay for rent or heating or electricity, why are Roger and Mark so damn broke all the time? Is it really that much of a betrayal of their bohemian lifestyle to, say, wait tables? Why doesn’t Mark get job at a small repertoire theatre? That would be right up his alley, I would think. If Roger hasn’t so much as left the loft for a year, from where does he get his AIDS drugs? How does he pay for them?

Can Diggs act? Did anyone else notice how disproportionately large Rapp’s head is to his body? That the lack of checked pants made Roger’s wardrobe look not at all dated? And, frankly, neither was Mark’s most of the time? And Angel’s glaring anachronism that nearly made me tear down the screen? Or how Benny’s redemption was conspicuously absent? Or how Rapp refused to abandon his lyrical lines while everyone around him spoke normally? Okay, I liked that last one. But still.

Also, all those homeless people live in a tent city outside of a giant, empty, unlocked building? Where Maureen keeps her equipment for days that no one steals? And Mimi walks home from the club by herself every night? Smart girl.

Finally, and maybe this is one of the benefits of having only one set (you never know exactly where the action is taking place), how Collins didn’t bitch-slap Mimi and Joanne at Angel’s interment I’ll never know. ‘Cause, I don’t know if I’ve brought this up in the past, but I can’t stand grandstanding at funerals. I find it despicable.

Here’s what I am telling you: if you spend too long thinking about it, you realize that most of these characters are assholes that don’t deserve your sympathy. I recommend not thinking about it.

Even so, I doubt all these questions have anything to do with the way Rent is spectacularly flopping as I write this. My theory? A few things: Purists aren’t going to want to see their beloved musical on the screen. Most of the people who haven’t yet seen this operetta on the stage probably weren’t holding out for a big screen adaptation. And, without a big name director or a big name cast, there’s little draw for anyone outside of Rent-heads to head on down to their local cinema. How many of you even recognize Martin from Law & Order or watched Diggs’ show on UPN last year? Sure, Dawson’s got a good number of credits on her filmography, but could you name five off the top of your head? More than that, could you name three where you were wowed by her acting?

Don’t get me wrong: I like Martin, Diggs, and Dawson. I’m just saying that the average person streaming into the theatre probably could not identify all three.

Although I did question it later (B-), I did lose myself in the movie while watching it (A+), which averages out to an A- .

No comments:

Post a Comment