Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Texasville (1990)

Short: 30 years later (1984), Jacy (Cybill Shepherd) returns to Anarene following the death of one of her children. Duane (Jeff Bridges) is an oil tycoon about to lose it all, including his wife, Karla (Annie Potts); his mistresses to his virile son, Dickie (William McNamara); and his family to Jacy. Sonny (Timothy Bottoms) is also still around, although less and less of his mind is in the present.

Again, April was mislead. I thought that the sequel to The Last Picture Show was about Duane and Jacy getting back together/working on their issues with one another. It's not.

It's about how Duane is a dumbass.

So unimpressed again. I didn't much care for the first film, but the follow-up is so much worse. If it weren't for the ever-delightful Potts, I doubt I would have made it to the end.

I don't think that Peter Bogdanovich should write movies all on this own. It doesn't work for him. And what was with all the poor editing? You know when you can tell that an actor was filmed against a screen and the background was added later? At least half the movie looked that way.

While watching this movie, I did note one interesting phenomenon, although it didn't occur on the screen. Everyone who came into the room stopped to actually watch what was going on on the TV. When I watched The Last Picture Show, most people chalked it up to "one of April's weird movies."

Why, you might ask? Because it was in colour. The Last Picture Show is unquestionably the better film, but it was in black and white. Thus, no one wanted to see it. That's ridiculous to me. I don't understand at all why people should be wary of black and white pictures. I mean, does that mean that a whole generation of people will never see classics like Citizen Kane or Some Like it Hot?

Because that's just nutty. C

No comments:

Post a Comment