Friday, October 29, 2004

The Yards (2000)

Premise: Years ago, Leo (Mark Wahlberg) took the fall for some of his friends and spent four years in jail. Now that he's out, he just wants to support his mom, Val (Ellen Burstyn). He reconnects with his best friend Willie (Joaquin Phoenix), who is working for Leo's new uncle, Frank (James Caan). His aunt, Kitty (Fay Dunaway) doesn't seem as happy that Leo is out as her daughter, Erica (Charlize Theron), who is also Willie's girlfriend.

If you are still wondering why you should see this movie? Have you had a look at that cast? Look at it again!

It rarely gets better than that.

Alright, now, I bet you think I watched this because I'm crazy about Phoenix. What if I told you that I saw this movie when it first came out? What would you say then, huh?

Actually, you'd still be right.

See, back on May 5, 2000, I went to see this little movie called Gladiator. Maybe you've heard of it. In any case, as we were leaving, the two ladies I was with and I were gushing about Russell Crowe and his talent, and I paused to say, "Yeah, but how about that guy who played Commodus? He was creepy as hell." Of course, I had no idea who he was.

When I spied The Yards on the satellite, I thought to myself, "Hey! It's that guy who played Commodus! And I heard this is supposed to be good."

So I watched it.

One of the best choices I have ever made based on such a small amount of information. Usually relying on "it's that guy!" is the wrong way to choose a movie. In the case of Phoenix, though, it always seems to work out.

James Gray, the ingenious director and co-writer, described Phoenix as a very demanding actor. The more I think about it, the more fitting I find that title. He isn't demanding in the I-only-want-cherry-mike-and-ikes-on-the-set way, but in the sense that he demands a lot from his director, writers, co-stars, and, most of all, himself. I honestly think this is one of his best performances. His character accidentally destroys his own life, and it's wonderful and frightening emotional transformation that he brings Willie through.

One of the amazing features of Gray and Matt Reeves' screenplay is the character development they bring to nearly every character. They give the audience a grand tragedy, and Gray pushes his phenomenal cast to emotional and nearly heartbreaking performances.

I am loving watching Wahlberg and Theron progress as actors. Theron blew the roof off in Monster, and I understand that Wahlberg has done his best work yet in I (heart) Hukabees. It's even better when you go back and watch their earlier stuff to see their raw talent become more polished and believable.

Dunaway is exceptionally well preserved in addition to sexy and talented. Burstyn gives her a run for her money by those criteria, and the two are fantastic together.

You know what isn't fair, though? Caan has been type-cast since 1972! That's not right. He's clearly got what it takes, and he gives a stellar performance here.

The only thing I could really without is Howard Shore's score. He freakin' steals music, man. And it really sucks that he's good at it.

Honestly, my latest film flirtation aside, this film really is brilliantly understated. A -

No comments:

Post a Comment