Sunday, October 31, 2004

Clueless (1995)

Plan: Cher (Alicia Silverstone) is a happy-go-lucky teen living it up in Beverly Hills with her lawyer father (Dan Hedaya). After a disappointing grade, she plays match-maker with two teachers at her high school, then turns her and her friend Dionne's (Stacy Dash) attentions to a new student, Tai (Brittany Murphy), much to the amusement of her older ex-step brother, Josh (Paul Rudd).

This is one of the most faithful and funny Jane Austen adaptations I've ever seen, and I'm sorry I haven't mentioned it sooner.

I know that we can sometimes be critical of Amy Heckerling's (writer/director) work here, but we really shouldn't be. You have to admire someone who could spark such enduring fashion and linguistic changes and still make Austen applicable and interesting for the teen set.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that very few of the actors seem to have gone anywhere since. I'm not saying that they are the most talented bunch, but I know you enjoyed them. It's really only Murphy's career that has taken off since. I'm reluctant to say that she is the most talented of the bunch, though.

Don't mock, but I still enjoy most of the soundtrack as well. Anyone who can use Mott the Hoople, Celine Dion, and Coolio without compromising deserves a second listen. Plus I like singing that supermodel song.

Sometimes you don't need an excuse. B

No comments:

Post a Comment