Monday, October 18, 2004

Dogfight (1991)

Brief: First let me explain the title term, as I don't want you thinking that it is meant in an air force sort of way. In this case, a group of marines about to ship out try to find the ugliest woman they can and bring her to party. The one with the ugliest girl wins the pot. Eddie Birdlace (River Phoenix) is just about to give up when he chances upon a waitress, Rose (Lili Taylor). Rose accepts his offer, but she discovers the true purpose of the party. Eddie realizes that he likes Rose, and he apologizes and takes her a proper date.

This is one of those movies that I saw a huge chunk from the middle, but neither the beginning or end, and I have always wanted to see the rest. It takes a special kind of movie to win you with the second act, n'est-ce pas?

Caution! As usual, I am about to reveal too much content.

I have previously found myself rather annoyed with movies that have people fall in love over a short period of time. I think that's crap. However, in this case, no one actually says "I love you", and I believe that's why I can still love this one.

While I find Phoenix's chemistry to be hit or miss, Taylor definitely provides us with a hit. All the awkwardness of young love and just getting together is there, and I couldn't stop smiling watching the whole thing. And, like so many movies that I like, the film glosses over the sex scene. The before and after are all we get (and all we need), and the before is so sweet that it's almost too much. Luckily, for me, it's just enough.

Honestly, I feel no need to point out anyone else that appears in the entire movie. Phoenix and Taylor are really all you need.

Like when Eddie is getting trying to work up the courage to kiss Rose, or Rose calls the rice "son-of-a-bitchin'." Those things torture me.

I don't think I could come up with a part of Bob Comfort's screenplay or Nancy Savoca that I have a problem with. Sure, I don't like that Taylor is made out to be a "dog" simply because they put her in a fat suit, but they work with that in a way that I can appreciate. As Eddie's fondness for Rose grows, she more and more beautiful she appears, as I can assure you Taylor is.

I can even dig the ending, although I understand that Phoenix walked with that limp for weeks after filming. Greater tragedy lies in that one fact than I'll ever understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment