Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Jam 2013

I stole this from mouthonlinedotcom
In addition to being my fabulous brother's birthday (Happy birthday, John!), it's also the first day of summer, which means it's time to choose my summer jam.

Origin story: Amy and I once did a Saturday glass art course where we made table tops. The glass lady left some Galaxie station on in the background all day. Unlike the stations I listen to, this one only had so many songs, so the same ones popped up many times over the course of the day. At first, I didn't like Ben Lee's "Catch my disease." It's a pretty groody title, after all. Eight hours later, I was brainwashed. By the time it came on in the car on the way home, I declared it my summer jam.

So, what am I looking for in a summer jam? It's gotta be fun and upbeat and danceable. Danceable is a pretty flexible idea 'round these parts because it basically means that I boogie around my apartment while it's on. Summer jams get a very heavy rotation for the season and help me reset when needs be.
No depress-o feelings-y shizz allowed.

Here are some previous entries in the summer jam series:

Evern, "Do I Go"

Ida Maria, "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" (Not family-friendly, obvs)

The Gaslight Anthem, "Meet Me By The River's Edge"

The Gaslight Anthem, "Biloxi Parish"

Icona Pop, "I Love It"

They don't have to be new or even new to me. They just have to have that nebulous quality that tells me they are going to set the right tone for the season.

I'm not 100% yet, but here are the front runners so far:

Chuck Ragan ft Brian Fallon, "Meet You In The Middle"

The Gaslight Anthem, "Film Noir"

The Gaslight Anthem, "Handwritten"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Bad Idea"

Not that there's a pattern there or anything . . .

Anyway, I'll let y'all know when I finally get around to making a choice. Which one will I take, Rebecca Black?

No comments:

Post a Comment