Tuesday, November 10, 2009

This Is It (2009)

I was one of those that were mildly disgusted when news broke of the plan to release This Is It, rehearsal footage from the London concert prep meant for Michael Jackson alone. Then Dana Stevens admitted to weeping, and I wondered if maybe there was something I had missed. For years now, every time a new scandal or court case hit the news, I wondered why people were still interested in what Jackson was doing. Now that I've seen the movie, though, I understand.

While Jackson (or MJ, as those on the set refer to him) had a director, vocal coach, and choreographer, it's obvious that he is all those things on stage. The precision with which he moves his body at 50 (far finer than mine at 26 or any age, no doubt) is astonishing. By "Smooth Criminal," the fourth or so song in set list, I had a huge grin on my face and had to warn myself not to get too emotional. MJ describes the jazzy behind the beat take on the opening to "The Way You Make Me Feel"* to his piano player "like you're dragging yourself out of bed."

He never quite belts it out the way you wish he would and know he can (saving his voice for the performance that will never be), and there are a couple of diva moments scattered in there. But the respect with which he treats his company and the awe they show him in response are palpable. When he says it's "for the fans," you actually believe him. It's clear the man was more performance than person. For the fans was all he had to give.

By now we know what happened and seeing how dangerously thin MJ was on stage gives you pause, but This Is It still contains lovingly captured footage of an artist we'll never see again. B

Also, I don't mean to jump the gun or anything, but Orianthi and I are in love.

*Personal favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment