Thursday, December 13, 2007

I was brought in to leverage your synergy

The WGA and HFPA were kind enough to announce their nominees on the same day, so I suppose I should get with the synergy and tell you about them.

WGA: I can't begin to tell you how excited and pleased I am that Flight of the Conchords is getting so much attention. "Sally Returns" is an excellent episode, although I am kind of at a loss to figure out how you could choose any one episode of the season and say, "Yes, that's the one." What about "Drive By" or "Bowie"? Oh, show. Also glad to see attention for Friday Night Lights(a.k.a. the best damn show on television) and Pushing Daisies (a.k.a. the sweetest show on television). Otherwise, pretty standard stuff.

Globes: I'm thrown right away in the first category because I haven't even heard of The Great Debaters*, and I'm also a little underwhelmed. Wasn't this supposed to be a great year for movies? I swear I heard that somewhere. Everyone in Michael Clayton was amazing, but the movie wasn't. I have no desire to watch Atonement, and now I am starting to feel awards season pressure to see it. I think I am supposed to be excited or at least surprised to see nods for Eastern Promises or Juno or John C. Reilly for Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. I'm not, though. I'd rather see more attention for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford or Gone Baby Gone or, for the love of pete, any frickin' song at all from Once.

Their TV nominations, on the other hand, are something to write home about. We've got the soft core insanity that is The Tudors; Sally Field and Holly Hunter for their great shows; Michael C. Hall going up against Hugh Laurie; Lee Pace, Anna Friel, sadly no Chenoweth, and Pushing Daisies on the whole; and James Nesbitt for Jekyll. He plays four different characters, two of which are so physically different its unnerving. Being Mr. Hyde must be such fun.

And, while we're here, check out the New York Film Critics Circle 2007 Awards, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association 2007 awards, the New York Film Critics Online 2007 Awards, the DC Area Film Critics Association 2007 Awards, and the TIFF Canadian Top 10.

*Oh, no, wait. I think I've seen that poster before. Even so.

No comments:

Post a Comment