Friday, December 07, 2007

Brick (2005)

It's RE-view, it's RE-view time!*

I know you might be like, dude, this movie came out a long time ago. You saw it a long time ago. Yes, those things are true. I also re-watched it for the first time in August. What's your point, I say. Months elapsed between when Zip sent me the DVD and when I sent it back. You know what? I don't owe you any explanations, but I'll give you one anyway.

See, I held on to it for so long for two reasons: 1) I love the movie and want to watch it repeatedly, and 2) I had to find time to listen to the commentary track. I'm not one for DVD extras most of the time (except theatrical trailers. You shouldn't be allowed to release your movie on DVD without a trailer), but the sheer volume of names listed on the commentary track made me think it might be worthwhile. Writer-director Rian Johnson, smart guy that he is, didn't bother with scene specific commentary. Sure, sometimes they explain an effect or a choice, but mostly he just chats with whoever it is (the costume or set designer, for example) about what it is that they did together to make the film. It's terrifically insightful and a lot more fun than the average running commentary track.

I was a little dismissive of Nathan Johnson's score in my initial review, although I can't imagine why. It's positively Wagnerian with the themes for each character, and I love that he made up his own instruments. He's a talent worth tracking.

I still think high school is a perfect setting for a noir, especially if you are looking to give the genre a reboot or at least to do something unique and have people take notice. I like that while Brendan is the hero, he isn't a hero, and I love that Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays it so close to the chest. I love that Brendan and Dode (Noah Segan) are motivated by the same thing, even though they can't see it that way. I love that the Brain (Matt O'Leary) looks up to Brendan, even though he shouldn't, and that Brendan knows this and doesn't want him to either. For a movie that has such specific and topsy-turvy dialogue, it's surprisingly subtle and ambiguous with its non-verbal cues between the players.

Mostly though, I wonder whatever possessed me to stick that minus there when I first graded this picture. My best guess is the strange costuming, particularly for Laura (Nora Zehetner). At one point, she appears to be wearing turkey feathers on the side of her head. In my second and third viewings, however, this started to make sense to me. High school girls really do wear the strangest things. It's all part of their struggle for identity, and Laura, with her merry-go-round of men and manipulation, would understand that better than most. A

* One day you will understand how "Business Time" may be one of the most perfect songs ever written, if only for its easy substitution quality. Pretty much any two syllable word will do, including but not limited to grocery, laundry, and Christmas. Try it today!

No comments:

Post a Comment