Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

RE-view! Yay!

Do you remember that episode of Freaks and Geeks where Sam takes Cindy out to the movies? He takes her to a movie he loves, and she doesn't think it's funny at all. So he breaks up with her. I get where Sam is coming from. It's awkward when you are laughing and the person you are sitting there with is staring blankly ahead. You start to feel like you should stifle your laughter or seem less amused.

Mind you, I had sort of blown this movie out of proportion in my mind. It wasn't quite as good as I remembered. It is pretty funny, and there are plenty of things to enjoy. The gambit of showing us how Harold (Ferrell) measures everything around him is clever, and Emma Thompson attacks those line readings gleefully. If you have to have a voice in your head, you could do worse.

I still don't get the point of having Queen Latifah in such a minor role, and I still find it difficult to fully support the ending. The entire sub-plot regarding the possibility that Karen (Thompson) has been killing off real people for years drops by the wayside. We never find out if Harold is the first or one of many, and we never see that really back up on her, either. I realize that she's not the protagonist, but wouldn't you check out some obits?

Alright, I am over-thinking it. I choose to believe that this is an anomaly with no explanation. There's no point in spending too much time thinking about the why behind it because it'll distract you from enjoying what is is very sweet and light movie. It gets treacly toward the end, but I think we can allow it its flaws. After all, doesn't a man like that deserve to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment