Thursday, November 09, 2006

V for Vendetta (2005)

RE-view insanity!

Just the other day, I thought to myself: what am I going to put in this year's Top 10? Because, although things have picked up lately, I haven't seen that many good movies this year. Then I thought, "V! I'll put V on the list! And I was so pleased.

Imagine my confusion when I pulled up the review to write this RE-view and discovered that I put the year as 2005. Then I looked it up on IMDb and saw 2005. "But didn't I see this is March of this year?" I asked. Apparently, I did. I looked up the release dates and sorted myself out.

I know you don't care about any of that, but at least you got a preview of what will likely be part of the Top 10 that you won't read until March 2007!

Also, thanks to A & M for this lovely b-day gift!

I had been saving this movie to watch in honour of Bonfire Night. Prior to this, I had been trying to convince myself that my high opinion of the movie had been falsely inflated. I didn't want to see it again only to be disappointed, so I kept trying to lower my expectations. As is my custom, I watched the trailer before I started the movie, which, I have to tell you, makes the movie look pretty crappy. Stupid, even.

Listen, guys - I don't normally read my reviews and say, "Oh, good work, self!" I mostly read them over and notice the things I didn't remember to include from my mental check list. But I was reading this review . . . and I was spot on. No, really, I feel like I hit the nail on that head with that one.

The movie is much better than it has any right to be, given (in my opinion) its pedigree. It is far more intelligently penned than one would expect. It is thoughtful and insightful, and McTeigue has an incisive eye. The way he calls up Kent State and Vietnam to go with the other allusions is particularly perceptive.

Portman and Weaving do have some intense chemistry, which amazes me under the circumstances. And, though I am loath to sound like a squeeing fangirl, I have such a crush on him now. V may be the embodiment of revenge, but Weaving fills him the idea that remains unspoken until Evey pulls that lever. There's no way that someone you never see is going to nominated for any best actor awards, which is a shame. Weaving gives one of the best performances of the year.

I did miss one point, though - Natasha Wightman as Valerie. She isn't in the movie for long, yet her stirring monologue brought tears to my eyes. I hope I get to see her in many more movies.

Although I was right about the slow second act, it's not as bad as a remember it. Besides, this movie is so wonderful it charmed my low quality DVD player-through-VCR set-up into behaving. That makes me feel like bumping the movie up to an A. I won't just yet, but I am thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment