Sunday, September 05, 2004

Equilibrium (2002)

Premise: In the future, the masses anethetize their emotions in order to put an end to hate, jealousy, rage, sorrow and their destructive criminal counterparts, creating a sedated version of peace. There exists an elite task force, the Grammaton Clerics, to round up and destroy "sense offenders", those who do not dose. John Preston (Christian Bale) is the highest-ranking cleric, renowned for both his mastery of the gun katas and his highly developed intuition. After he kills his partner, Partridge (Sean Bean), Preston somewhat accidentally goes off the dose. His behaviour raises the suspicions of his new partner, Brandt (Taye Diggs), but not those of the vice-president, Dupont (Angus Macfayden). Preston develops a connection with Mary O'Brien (Emily Watson), whom he arrested and who is sentenced to summary combustion.

Okay, so the plot's as predictable as they come:
He's their greatest weapon, so all their training is obviously going to backfire when he realizes how wrong "Father" (their version of Big Brother) has been to keep them from feeling. But who really watches an action/sci-fi movie for the plot, anyway?

So, in case it isn't clear: Caution! Spoilers Ahead!

And, as I have always said about children in movies, Preston's son Robbie (Matthew Harbour) is the scariest character of all. I mean, what could be more terrifying to watch than an emotionless little kid? Very little is the correct answer.

So, unoriginal plot aside, I would like to point out that Bale is the Matrix. For those of you don't know, referring to someone as the Matrix doesn't mean that I think they are computer generated, it means that they can do something astounding that seemingly defies concepts like physics, gravity, and reality.

In Equilibrium’s case, I'm referring to Bale doing those gun katas. Dupont explains that thorough analysis has proven enemy fire statistically predictable, which has allowed the Cleric to develop katas that keep them out of harm's way while pretty much killing everyone else.

And they are something else to watch. I know because I had to watch this movie twice just to take it all in. Instead of relying on the more prevalent CGI (ahem, actual Matrix movies), Kurt Wimmer (writer/director) treats the audience to a combination of camera work, film speed, and crafty editing. I paid close attention the second time around, I think I spotted only three short instances of CGI. This sum, of course, refers to fight sequences and not, for example, the digital sky scrapes.

Now that I think about it, what Wimmer's story lacks, his direction more than makes up for. He knows how to pace everything just right for maximum emotional effect. In the film, art, music, movies, television, books, colours, textures, and pets have all been outlawed because of their "emotional content", creating a visually grim world.

One of the most exquisite scenes in the movie occurs when Preston finds a room full of contraband after they take a house full of rebels. He runs his fingers over everything that surrounds him, then pauses to put on a Beethoven LP. As the music fills the room, the snow globe in his hands crashes to the ground, and Preston bursts into tears. It made me wish I could see someone react Beethoven for the first time every day for the rest of my life.

Of course, Klaus Badelt's alternatively pulsing, chilling, and uplifting score is nothing to thumb your nose at. I have a confession to make: a month ago, I had no idea who Badelt was. Since then I have seen two movies where I deliberately paid attention to his score, and that extra listening has paid off. I am 100% on the Badelt bandwagon now.

In fact, I would venture to say that between Badelt's score, Wimmer's direction, and Dion Beebe's cinematography, dialogue isn't necessary. Those three and maybe Jan de Bont as the producer. I can honestly tell you that as soon as I saw that I thought, "Well, I'm not surprised." This movie has his fingerprints all over it.

Macfayden made a pretty good villain, and I very much believed that Diggs is an arrogant, backstabbing prick. I was confused as to how his obvious pride and jealous weren't feelings, but I don't think I was supposed to notice/care about that.

If this is any explanation of Bale's performance, I just kept thinking about what a kick Batman he's going to make.

Watson, lovely as ever, possesses a sort of ethereal beauty and wisdom in this movie. It's a more than little disarming.

And who doesn't love Bean? He is, in my humble opinion, one of Britain's premiere actors, and I am always glad to see him. It's funny, though, that he maintains his accent while the rest try to stifle theirs.

As long as you respect that plots aren’t necessarily important in action movies, I can easily recommend this one to you. It was so stunning to watch that I didn't let a day pass before seeing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment