Friday, September 03, 2004

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

Outline: As soon as Edmund Dantes' (Jim Caviezel) life seemingly falls into place, his best friend, Fernand Mondego (Guy Pearce), has him imprisoned for treason and marries Edmund's fiancee, Mercedes (Dagmara Dominczyk). Imprisoned on a isolated island, Edmund begins to formulate a plan for escape and revenge with the help of a fellow inmate (Richard Harris). That inmate gives him a map to the isle of Monte Cristo, where a fortune awaits. With it and the help of a smuggler, Jacopo (Luis Guzman), Edmund becomes the Count of Monte Cristo and moves to Paris to exact his revenge.

I caught a bit of this movie on TV the other day, and I began to laugh it as a classic example of allowing attractive leads to lead you astray at the box office.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Alexandre Dumas' tale of passion and revenge, but that's not what drew me in in the end.

Yet, as I was watching it, I was subtly seduced into enjoying it. It wasn't even a guilty pleasure sort of enjoying. It was the camera work!

I actually forgot how exciting this movie is! It's the same excitement that Kevin Reynolds (director) mustered at the helm of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, without having to subject yourself to Kevin Costner or Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

Instead, you are treated to what is easily in the Top 5 great movie entrances of all time, as well as Harris for a touch of plucky class.

On the other hand, for reasons beyond my comprehension, Pearce's teeth get progressively worse and worse the more cruelly his character behaves. Apparently someone wants you to believe that evil causes tooth decay.

I can't remember whether or not Jay Wolpert (screenwriter) spoils the story by giving us the Hollywood ending. I don't mean that I can't remember the movie; I mean that I can't remember the book.

Dominczyk's acting is probably the least compelling part of the entire movie. Reynolds works hard to convince you that a heaving bosom and wet eyes can be exchanged for talent, but I know better.

The movie's a swashbuckling adventure, to be sure, but it's not the best of its type. Regardless, if you are looking for a bit of sport (and one helluva entrance), you needn't look any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment