Wednesday, September 28, 2005


All work and no play (2005)

I know it has been a while since I posted a review, much less a quality review like in the days of yore. Based on the copious clamoring comments and e-mails, I can tell you are desperate to hear my unique insights into the ins and outs of all things cinematic.

You'll just have to exhale because I do not have a review for you today.

In sooth, I have not sat down and watched, never mind enjoyed, a single movie since I went to see Broken Flowers. I caught a snippet of Igby Goes Down the other night, and it was more of a taste than I have had in weeks. My four Zipped DVDs are collecting dust on top of my TV. I've had Sarah's copy of Monsoon Wedding since early August.

My problem is two-fold: lack of time and lack of resources. I am coop-ing it up this semester, in addition to tackling the most demanding course I have taken thus far in my sorry university career. While all those things suck the time and energy required for watching and snarking, perhaps a bigger problem is how much TV I watch. Despite the on-going CBC/media guild/labour union strike (which keeps me separated from my beloved George), I watch hour upon hour of TV a week. It begs the question: Has TV quality steadily improved over the years, or have I lowered my standards?

I like to pretend that it is neither, that I have simply broadened my horizons. I am quite possibly delusional.

Lack of resources resembles more of a joke being played on me by my wonderful employer. Apparently, when they say they will pay you in September, they really mean October. Thank you, friends. My invisible pay cheque makes the highlighted and annotated calendar ripped from Entertainment Weekly's Fall Preview issue and stuck to Bill Pullman (a.k.a my big girl fridge) all the more depressing. With each passing week, more and more movies slip me by.

Of course, if it were up to me, I would be sitting here transcribing my TIFF notes and coming down from a diet coke/diet Pepsi/diet Dr. Pepper, vitamin supplement, and Junior Mint induced high. And when I say, "if it were up to me," I really mean, "if I had the money."

Since that cannot be, I give you the full list of movies I want to check out between now and December. Some I chose based on cast, some based on crew, some based on concept, and others on buzz. Hopefully you'll get to see a handful reviewed in the coming weeks and months. Until then, stay tuned for more thoughts and notes about Art with a capital "A", Crap with a capital "C", and everything in between.

September 16

Everything is Illuminated
Just Like Heaven
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
The Libertine
Lord of War
Proof
Thumbsucker

September 23

Flightplan
A History of Violence
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

September 30

Capote
Little Manhattan
Serenity

October 7

Good Night, and Good Luck

October 14

Elizabethtown
North Country

October 21

Derailed
Shopgirl
Stay

November 4

Jarhead

November 11

Rent

November 18

Walk the Line

November 23

Ice Harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment