Thursday, May 26, 2005

Someone who can articulate it

All those times people try to get me to watch Quentin Tarantino movies, I find myself defending the absolutely inarticulable reason why I just don't like them. Because I just don't. I mean, sure, there's that thing where I pretty much don't like him either, but I don't connect with anything in his movies.

So, when it came to the two hour, Tarantino-helmed season finale of CSI, I can't say I was particularly excited. It had things I thorough expect from him, and it had things I thoroughly expect from the show.

Much to my glee, Sobell's recap had a little something more. It seems she's none to keen on the overly lauded director either, and she was able to even put it into a few words (click here to view text in original source):

And this is my big problem with Mr. Tarantino. I can handle that he's made a career basically ripping off -- excuse me, being inspired by -- other directors' distinctive visual and narrative styles. I can handle that many of his movies are essentially collections of sets pieces. I can handle that he's over-reliant on using pop culture references as a way to infuse his work with meaning, since he's unwilling or unable to do the hard work and create that on his own. But what really makes me run cold is how Tarantino's depictions of man's inhumanity to man rarely transcend voyeurism. As depicted by him, acts of violence are just some cool shit to show because they make audience members react, and sparking any response is apparently better than striving to make a point that your audience may or may not respond to. Screw that -- if you're going to show something extreme, it should be in the service of a larger point than "I do it because I can."

I feel so relieved now.

No comments:

Post a Comment