Saturday, January 31, 2004

William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet

Personally, I don't feel I need to go over the premise here. I was watching the theatrical trailer, and whoever wrote it decided that this tale was "the greatest love story ever told". I disagree, but that's not important.

Let me make this clear: Baz Luhrmann is a genius. He has some of the best cinematography I have ever seen. Moreover, the art direction in this film is simply beautiful. Exquisite, really. Even if you hate Leonardo DiCaprio or can't stand Shakespeare, you will be forced to admit that Luhrmann plunges the viewer into a world saturated with colour and beauty.

In addition, John Legizamo (?) is an inspired choice as Tybalt. He brings anguish and passion to a disillusioned young man the likes of which has rarely been seen before.

Alright, I'm about to admit something somewhat controversial. I believe that Leonardo DiCaprio can act. I know, I know, now it looks like I just seem to favour boyish teen stars, but I assure you that that is not the case. Honestly, if you don't believe me, rent anything else he has been in, minus the disaster that was The Beach. There's really no explaining that. Regardless, DiCaprio brings an almost tender innocence to the empty existence of a teen caught in a world he cannot explain or understand.

Romeo and Juliet's characters live outside the hate that embroils their families. While their love may not be the stuff of the "greatest love story ever told", it is a powerful example of the all-consuming pathos many teens experience at one time or another. If that doesn't work for you, you can just admire how pretty it all looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment